header

Wednesday, January 6, 2016

How-to Books!

We know many classrooms are launching the "How-to" unit of study for writing this week. Here are some pictures of last year's work!

"how-to" reading & projects made during choice time
(book covers, photos, and student work)

our published books on display

some examples of how-to book features:
zoomed-in pictures, labels, sequence words,
materials page, tips and warnings,
good beginnings (introductions)
and good endings (conclusions)

charts with examples from how-to mentor texts
and work of students who tried this feature


How-to charts made via shared writing and interactive writing,
that we can reread for shared reading!



We teach them that an introduction is like the writer talking to the reader to get them ready and excited to read the book, so we can draw ourselves and speech bubbles! Many of our students are beginning English Language Learners, they learn so much in a few short months!

HERE ARE SOME CUTE COVERS AND INTRODUCTION PAGES:

"Hi my name is Aidan. Do you like plants? I will teach you how to make a plant."

"Hi my name is Brandon. I will teach you how to make a party hat."

"Hi. My name is Enriqueta. I will teach you how to brush your teeth."

"Hello my name is Leslie. I will teach you how to make a maraca."

"Hi my name is Miguel. I can teach you how to make a mask."

"Hi my name is Lizbeth and I going to teach you how to make a puppet."

More to come soon!

Happy writing!
C & S

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much! I'm on lesson 7 in WUOS by Lucy et al. I love this unit and your charts, pictures and ideas are fantastic. I love the procedural interactive writing and the speech bubble introductions. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! This unit is so much fun. Let us know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete